The Railroad in Duncannon
The railroad steamed into Duncannon in 1848 and was a major factor in the growth and development of the area. In the mid-1800s the railroad ran through the center of town on Apple Tree Alley. Around 1865 the earliest station was built at the corner of Fisher and Main Streets near the Iron Works complex in Lower Duncannon. The Freight Station at Cherry Street and Apple Tree Alley was built about the same time and is still standing. In the early 1900s the tracks were moved to along the river and this station was built.