Address Image Date Built Architectural Description History of property More Information
389 102 E Market     102-e-market 1880 Second Butz Building, 2 1/2 story brick on stone foundation, Italianate pediments over windows, built by Jesse S Butz, Sr. on the site of John Reider's original house (son of Paul Reider) First movie theater was the Photoplay Theater, which occupied the left side. Catawissa Bar on right.
390 111-113 E Market c 1880 Three story flat roofed brown brick on brick and stone foundation, three bays wide and four deep, large dentils and eave brackets, bay window on second story, originally storefront on first story.
391 112 E Market c 1900 Three story brick on stone foundation, classical Revival with incised pilasters, store front on first floor. Was Lipsett's clothing store. Then liquor store. Now vacant.
394 209 W Market 1910 Two story side gabled frame on stone and concrete foundation, clad in vinyl on the front, drop siding on sides and rear, three bays, storefront on first, entrance portico with square incised pillars and concrete stoop.
395 213 W Market 1910 Large two story side gabled brick on stone foundation, three large bays wide, storefront on the first story, bay window on second.
396 220 W Market 1840 Demaree House, Italianate two story side gabled brick on stone foundation, large Roman-arched entrance with fanlight, wooden lintels over fenestration, teardrop eave brackets.  Brick looks handmade with very thin mortar, large circa 1915 porch, sandstone with Tuscan columns. Was the home and office of Dr. Edward P. Hewling, dentist, and Dr. Sam F. Whitmer, dentist, and the office of Dr. B. F. Bartho, M.D.  House originally featured a widow's walk, shutters, elaborate window boxes and just a front stoop with a second floor porch above.
398 221 W Market 1910 Gelnett Brothers Ford Garage, large one story flat roofed brick on stone foundation, two large storefronts, each with an entrance, brick quoins at the corners, Art Deco details. Was the United Penn Dress company sewing factory.  Harry Magee, a plumber, was in the rear.  Now a novelty store.
398 224 W Market 1938 Allen E. Hench Office Building, two story brick on concrete foundation, glass block windows, projecting entrance. Was the residence and office of Dr Blain F. Bartho, M.D., who bought the lot from Bellie Whitmer, moving from 220 Market where he had a medical office and Dr. Hewlings had a dentist office
399 231 W Market 1895 Newport Safety Fire company No 1, 1895.  Two story flat roofed brick on stone foundation, dentils, pilasters, tower, one fire wagon bay, now bricked over Now Newport Borough Building. The vacant lot housed the police and Burgess.
400 232 W Market 1920 2 1/2 story foursquare, tan brick on stone foundation with sandstone lintels over fenestration, large bay window, simple eve returns in a classical revival style, large one story front porch. Was the Perry County Literacy Council, Meridian Bank and also Hill Financial, State Capital Savings and Loans, Pat Barrick Eyeglasses, United Telephone, a ladies' dress shop and a tailoring shop.  The land was sold to Clarence W. Rebert by Dr. S. E. Whitmer in 1915 for $2,500
401 233 W Market 1915 Schlomer Building, 2 1/2 story foursquare brick on stone foundation, tan brick facing streets, red brick behind, large entrance with stone surrounding, dentils, dormers. Became the Moose Lodge.  Now a restaurant.
402 301 W Market 1892 Three story flat roofed brick and stone residence on a stone foundation, rusticated stone on first story, brick above, eave brackets and dentils on cornice, Tuscan columns support entrance porches on both Market and Third St sides, two bays along Market, four along Third. "Hoggy" Bill Fickes (married to Everhhardt) operated Surnick and Freeman Shoes.  In 1902 was a Chinese laundry on the corner.
403 303-305 W Market 1890 Twp story side gabled frame on stone foundation, clad in vinyl siding, storefront, four bays, three entrances, shed roof overhang. Former location of H&R Block, a 5 and 10 cent store, the Newport Appliance and Charles Oren's Meat Market and agricultural implements store.
404 304 W Market 1870 Large two story side gabled brick on stone foundation, five bays, Roman-arched entrance with transom, wooden lintels over fenestration, faux shutters, small one story porch with square wooded columns On February 8, 1775, David English patented a tract of land that was purchased from John and Thomas Penn on May 13,1774. On June 12, 1783 he sold 199 acres to his son, David, Jr.  The same tract was later sold to Johann “Paul “Reider/Reider/Reitter on April 2, 1789.   continue reading
405 309, 311, 313 W Market c 1840 Two story side gabled frame and log on brick, concrete, and stone foundations, clad in aluminum siding, storefront, 309 is frame, while 311 and 313 are log, all have been extensively remodeled for their present use as an appliance store - Flickinger's ??? The Newport Theater, a silent movie house, was in building (Where??).  After it closed, several garages occupied the space until the building was torn down and the plumbing store expanded.
406 310 W Market c 1860 Two story side gabled brick on stone foundation, three bays, large windows flank a simple door with transom on first story, large arched windows in center on second story, narrow one-story full front porch with Tuscan columns Two dentists, Dr Todd and Dr Smoyer had offices here.
407 316 W Market c 1890 Two story end gabled frame on stone foundation, now clad with aluminum siding, narrow one-story full front porch The McDermond residence in 1990. In 1886, it was listed as a one-room residence surrounded by cornfields.  In the early 1900's, it was owned by Frank Zinn, who ran a news agency, sold insurance and was Justice of the Peace
408 323-325 W

Market

c 1880 Large 2 1/2 story Second Empire double house, brick on stone foundation, two bays each, eave brackets and dentils on the cornice, gable end dormers set into mansard, one-story full front porch supported by Tuscan columns
409 330 W Market 1877 St. Paul's Lutheran church, large brick on stone foundation, in an ecclesiastical Romanesque style In 1961, the church bought the adjoining lot which contained "The Townhouse,"  the oldest home in Newport.  It had been moved from its original site at 2nd and Mulberry.  Originally a residence, it had also been the post office and the library.  Site is now home to the Heritage Park.